Burnsville was settled in 1832 and is named after one of the first settlers, Jeremiah Burns. The official Town Charter was adopted later in 1858. Burnsville was a bustling little "railroad town" back then. Transportation is still the hub of action in the Town now. While the railroad has steadfastly remained, it has been joined by a four lane highway (US 72) and the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway.